Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Fruit Jelly/Jam French Toast

While long faces when I make upma or idli for a weekend breakfast is common, French Toasts brings a big smile and sunshine right into the kitchen even if the Sun himself has not made an appearance.

Bread that soaks up the eggs and the milk will be the perfect candidate for soft and tasty french toast. Before I go to the recipe - the bread needs some time. I spend an inordinate amount of time in front of the bread aisle to find a bread loaf with just the 5 basic ingredients which I have realized is almost impossible. There are a few brands and a few of their breads might come to about 10 ingredients and that is the closet I have come in my quest for bread with just the bread ingredients, flour,salt, oil and maybe a tiny bit of sugar.

I saw this article on Food Babe and besides making me crazier than I already was showed me a few pointers on what I needed to avoid while buying bread. We always have a couple of loaves of bread sitting in the pantry/fridge and it is only good that I check out what is in them.

Take the eggs, milk and preferably whisked fruit jelly in a bowl. Whisk them so they come together.
Dip a slice of bread in the egg mixture and place it on a hot oiled griddle or frying pan. Cook on one side for 2-3 minutes.
Flip and cook on the other side for a couple more minutes. Serve with some maple syrup drizzled.


I noticed Rudi's bread which came somewhat close to the list of ingredients I was looking for in bread. The bread I use here is the Multigrain Oat kind. Any kind of bread which works for you is good for this recipe.



Fruit Jelly French Toast
Preparation Time:5 minutes
Cooking Time:20 minutes
Ingredients
  1. 1/4 cup of milk
  2. 2 eggs
  3. 1 tbsp raspberry jelly (any jelly or jam will work)
  4. 10-12 slices of bread

Method
  1. Use a whisk and whisk the fruit jelly before adding to the milk and eggs (I did not do this and had some lumps).
  2. Whisk together eggs, milk and the fruit jelly till they come together in a wide mouthed bowl so it is easy to dip the bread in.
  3. Take a slice of bread dip in the egg mixture. Don't let soak for more than 20 seconds.
  4. Heat a griddle or a frying pan, spray with oil, bring the heat to medium. Place the soaked bread on the hot pan.
  5. Let cook for about 2-3 minutes, flip and cook on the other side for a couple more minutes.
  6. Repeat for all slices of bread.
  7. Enjoy with some maple syrup drizzled on top.
Like what you are reading? Subscribe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Appreciate you taking the time.
Comments embedded with links, spam and in poor taste will not be published.