I can't sleep past 5:30/6:00 usually and while breakfast is getting done this job also gets done. If you are interested in why I am talking about making batter is because this recipe if perfect as a side for ildli or dosai and also pairs great with rice. If all else fails it is also perfect as is. If you are interested in making idli batter click here.
The other great thing it is one of those recipes that you can do with your eyes closed with ingredients that are on hand and I always wonder how just a few ingredients in their right proportions make everything taste good. Give this a try and you will know what I am talking about.
I usually cook this in the pressure cooker but stove top is fine too but takes a little bit longer, still easy but not quick.
|Roast the moong dal and get the vegetables ready.|
|Combine the lentils, onions, vegetables, green chilies and turmeric powder and the sesame oil and let pressure cook for 2 whistles.|
|Season oil with cumin seeds, mustard seeds and curry leaves and add it to the cooked lentils on low heat along with salt. Mix and turn off the heat.|
Quick and Easy Bottle Gourd (Sorakkai) Sambhar
Preparation Time:5 minutes
Cooking Time:25 minutes
Serves : 4-6
- 1/2 cup of split green moong dal or split yellow moong
- 1/2 cup of toor dal
- 1 bottle gourd peeled, seeds removed and diced into small pieces (ridge gourd, snake gourd, chard leaves, green beans, spinach all work well in this recipe)
- 5-6 green chilies slit and shake to remove the seeds
- 1/4 cup of onions
- seasonings: cumin seeds, mustard seeds and curry leaves
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp of oil + 1 tsp of sesame oil
- If using moong dal, dry roast the dal till it gets slightly browned. This is optional of course but roasting gives it a good aroma and taste.
- Wash the lentils and add to the pressure along with the sesame oil, turmeric powder, onions, bottle gourd and green chiles and 3 cups of water. (I like it to be a little watery but if you want it thick reduce the water quantity.)
- Place the weight on the cooker and cook in medium heat for 2 whistles.
- Let the heat subside, open the cooker keep the flame on low and add salt.
- For the seasoning, take a small sauce pan, add oil add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds and curry leaves and when the mustard starts to pop add to the lentils in the pressure cooker, mix and turn off the heat.Serve as a side with dosai or idli. Goes well with rice also.
Like what you are reading? Subscribe!