I am not sure which planet Santorum inhabits but the shocking thing is there are a lots of people in this country who think he makes sense. According to him it is snobbish to go to college!! He found fault with President Kennedy's speech in 1960 about the separation of Church and State. He is as radical and for one do not want to live in an America that he is envisioning and I certainly do not want my President to be my Priest.
As for Romney even he does not know what he stands for. Sad. Sad.
Best are the days when one of these guys are not uttering some outrageous comment or the other and I am not watching news on TV!
Now on to the recipe,
We are lucky to have the Amish market nearby. The fresh spinach leaves, green beans, snow peas are as fresh as they come. As we all know there are umpteen ways that Spinach can be cooked. A simple mashed spinach is one of our favorites and paired with some roasted potatoes or taro root makes for very happy tummies.
The recipe today happened because I wanted to make a rice dish and had some soaked chick peas ready. It is very simple and paired with some raita makes a quick one pot meal.
Spinach Rice with Chick Peas
1. 2 Cups of Basmati Rice (or any long grain rice)
2. 4 cups of packed fresh Spinach leaves washed and chopped roughly
3. 1 1/2 cups of soaked chick peas
4. 1 medium red onion sliced
5. 5-6 garlic cloves chopped
6. 3-4 green chilies slit
7. 1/2 tomato chopped fine
8. 1/4 tsp garam masala
9. 1/2 tbsp red chili powder
10. 2 tsp pepper powder
11. 1 tsp ghee + 2 tsp oil
12. 1 bay leaf + 1 tsp cumin seeds
12. salt to taste
1. Partially cook the chick peas and set aside. (see Note) Wash and soak the rice for about 20-30 minutes.
2. In a pressure cooker (or a vessel large enough to cook the rice) heat the oil and add the cumin seeds, bay leaf and the garam masala, let it be for 30 seconds.
3. Now add in the onions, green chilies and saute till it starts getting translucent. Add in the garlic and saute for a minute more.
4.Now add in the tomatoes and let cook for a few more minutes till soft.
5.Add in the chopped spinach leaves and saute till they are wilted.
6. Add the pepper and chili powders and mix it in well.
7. Add the rice and saute gently and mix it into the spinach.
8. Add the required amount of water, salt and let it come to a boil. When the rice is partially cooked and most of the water is absorbed place the lid with the weigh on and cook for 7-8 minutes on medium heat. Just before closing the lid add the ghee on top.
9. Once the cooker has cooked open the lid, mix the rice gently, place the lid and let sit for 10-15 minutes.
Serve with raita of choice.
1. The cooking time for the rice is not sufficient to cook the chickpeas hence the need to partially cook the chickpeas.
2. Can be done on the stove top for 10-15 minutes.