Thursday, February 3, 2011

Chicken Fry (Kozhi varuval)

Which group do you fall into - the half full or the half empty kind?
Couple of months ago I was speeding driving to get back home on time to drop off DD at the bus stop. Why? Some of you who read this space regularly have read about the crazy bus driver. It always helps to be on time and not get into a spat with her which leaves me fuming the rest of the day.



Anyway that early in the morning there is not much traffic which makes driving a little bit no actually a lot faster fairly unnoticeable. As I was driving that day I get this high beam directed right into the car almost blinding me. I change lanes and the high beam car behind also changes lanes, so I adjust the rear view mirror to night vision so avoid the bright light. I pay no more attention but as I come to a stop at the traffic light the offending car pulls right next to mine in the adjacent lane and the person rolls down the window and yells "slow down". I realize only then it was a cop trying to catch my attention.

I mumble an inaudible thanks roll up the window, thank my lucky stars and get the hell out of there well within speed limit of course and still do on that stretch of road.

What would you take away from that kind of encounter? This is about luck and how these tiny things make or break your day.
1. Thank your lucky stars for having gotten away with just a verbal warning and take it as a sign that it is your lucky day for taking risks? 2. Thank your lucky stars and make a mental note to be extra careful and not take any risks? 3. Think nothing at all about it?

What is your attitude towards life? 1, 2 or 3?


As for this recipe there are no bad breaks only good tasty one. It is one of the most favorite chicken preparations around my home. Make it as spicy as you want or as dry as you want. It works as a side for rice or any kind of bread.




Chicken Fry
Ingredients
1. 2 lbs of chicken thighs cut into slightly bigger than bite sized pieces
2. 2 medium sized red onions (or shallots)
3. 2 tbsp yogurt
4. 2 fairly tart tomatoes chopped fine
5. Whole Spice: 1 tbsp coriander seeds + 1 inch piece of cinnamon + few cloves + 1 tsp fennel seeds + 1 tsp pepper corns
6. 4-5 red chilies (or as per heat tolerance)
7. 6 garlic cloves
8. 2 inch piece of ginger
9. 2 tsp turmeric powder
10. half slice of lemon
11. 2-3 sprigs of curry leaves
12. 1 tsp cumin seeds
13. 1/2 tbsp red chili powder
14. 1 tsp of oil + salt to taste

Method
1. Clean the chicken and marinate it with the yogurt, turmeric powder, chili powder and a half of the lemon juice.
2. Saute half the onions about 3/4 cup, garlic, ginger and red chilies with a bit of oil and blend without adding any water
3. Dry roast all the whole spices and make a powder
3. In a wide mouthed pan heat the oil, add the cumin seeds and curry leaves followed by the onions and when they are brown add the chicken and let it cook till the outside starts to turn white
4. Add the chopped tomatoes and salt and let them cook and become soft about 5-6 minutes. Cover with a lid
5.Now add that powdered spices and mix it in well
6. Add the onion paste and continue to saute till you see oil separate
7. Add more curry leave and saute till the chicken is dry

I stopped at this point or you can continue till it turns nice and crispy.

Serve with rice.

9 comments:

  1. All I take away is "Are you lucky or what"?
    As a person who usually drives very carefully and is laughed at by the junta because of being cautious and heavy back seat driving, I am the one in the household who received two tickets last year !!! What can I say but I need Chicken fry :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say 2.
    CHicken fry looks so so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yumm, such a delectable chicken fry..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would be a 2 until the incident fades away from my memory... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm person No 2, I don't drive but I don't think I would speed if I did. Sometimes I wish I could be No 3. I'm always counting blessings - trying to reverse my half-empty nature, but it gets tiresome sometimes :) as there's no justification for feeling bad and hurt. :)

    There's a No 4 too, the kind who think the cop owed them one or that the cop dare not give them a ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't drive but if i were, I think I am no. 2, until the incident fades away..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Type 2 here.

    It just happened to me this holiday season! No its not shareable on a public blog, but yes, made me thank my lucky stars and I have promised myself never to pull that stunt ever again. I still wonder....Just WHAT was I thinking??

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would have been so flicking scared to realize that it was a cop! lucky you.

    That chicken fry looks mighty fine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Indo is one lucky lady! I would be 2 also.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Appreciate you taking the time.
Comments embedded with links, spam and in poor taste will not be published.