Saturday, December 9, 2006

Rutabaga Kootu


Rutabaga or 'Swede' as it is called in England caught my attention when I first read about it in the Washington Post. Read the Rutabaga Wiki for more info. When cooked it tastes sweet and is similar to a butternut squash in texture. Rutabaga is a winter veggie or atleast I see them only during winter time in grocery stores. Last time my mother was here she made a Kootu with Kadalai paruppu (channa dal) but I did not have any Kadalai Paruppu so this is a slightly different recipe.


Ingredients
1. Rutabaga peeled and diced
2. 1/2 onion chopped
3. 1/2 tomato chopped
4. 3 garlic pods chopped
5. 2 tbsp tamarind (optional)
6. 1/4 cup toor dal + 1/4 moong dal pressure cooked
7. seasoning mustard, curry leaves

Paste
1. 2 tbsp grated fresh coconut
2. 4 green chillies
3. tsp of cumin
4. 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
blend to a paste (slightly coarse is good)

Method
1. In a pan or pressure cooker , heat oil and add the seasonings and when the mustard starts to pop add the onions and saute till brown
2. Add the garlic and cook for a few minutes.
3. Add the rutabaga and cook for a few minutes, also add the tomato pieces, let it cook for a few more mibutes
4. Add the mashed dal, salt and the coconut paste and enough water(consistensy desired), mix
5. Put the lid on the cooker and cook for about 4-5 minutes

The reason I pressure cook for a second time is to cook the rutabaga. If you were do it on a stove top leave it covered for 10 -15 minutes.

Goes with rice or chappathis.

10 comments:

  1. I love this veg too Indo!I make cornish pasties with it and also good with veg pulao and Saagu.

    Kootu looks delicious,never used in this dish.Thanks for a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this the same vegetable they use to make desserts? Anyway, interesting kootu.Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Indo,
    Haven't seen this vegetable.. anyhow I will try to look out for it when i come back from india next month.. the recipe with this new veggie looks good and thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have never tried this vege. Koottu looks like a great idea ! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi ISG! I'm so excited to see an Indian recipe for rutabaga (in my family we just call them turnips, but they are not like small white turnips). I only have this in pasties or mashed with lots of butter at Thanksgiving. Can't wait to try your way, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have never tried this veggie indo, good find

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have never tried rutabaga. Will lookout for these next time i go grocery shopping.

    BTW this time I bought acorn squash, do u have any recipe for that ??
    Thank u !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Asha, great ideas i have been wanting to make the patsies, I will try it with this. Give it a try it in the kootu.

    Shaheen I am not sure if they use this one are you referring to rhubarb by any chance.

    Prema, Krithika,Sandeepa give it a try, and see if you like the taste and let me know.

    Linda, they do look like turnips, try the kootu you will like it.

    Priya, Rutabags is mostly found during winter. I make Poriyal with Acorn Squash, pretty much the same recipe as the butternut squash i have here.

    A friend of mine told she puts the squash in a bag and just hits it on the floor a few times. It is hard to cut, but cooks really fast. I peel the skin but you can leave it on if follow the above method to break it. Just add some fresh grated coconut in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi ISG,nice kootu with rutabaga..Yes,I have seen this in stores here but never ventured to cook it as I never knew what reaction it would bring from my picky little girl Ananya and my husband.I think I have safe ground to tread now,since you have given such a nice and simple recipe..Thanks for sharing,dear.Sure will try this veggie now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks good. Got to try one new veggie now! I too think shaheen refers to rhubarb.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Appreciate you taking the time.
Comments embedded with links, spam and in poor taste will not be published.