1. 6 ripe tomatoes roughly chopped
2. 1/2 red onion roughly chopped
3. 3-4 red chillies (add more if you need it more spicy)
4. 2 tbsps Ural dal
5. few pepper corns
6. cumin seeds few
7. a bit of tamarind
8. grated coconut 1 1/2 tbsp (this is optional and can be left out)
Grated cocunut is available in most grocery stores in the frozen section. Be careful when you handle them, do not refreeze after you defrost. Cut the desired piece and defrost in microwave.
1. Heat a pan and dry roast Ingredients 3-6 and set aside.
2. Pour oil and fry the onions and when cooked add the the tomatoes and tamarind
3. Cook the tomatoes till raw smell goes, add salt.
4. If you are adding coconut, add the defrosted one and fry for a few seconds.
5. Cool the mixture and blend to a smooth paste.
This is delicious and goes well with Idlis or dosas.